Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Suffering - When Trouble Comes

For sighing comes to me instead of food;
my groans pour out like water.

What I feared has come upon me;
what I dreaded has happened to me.

I have no peace, no quietness;
I have no rest, but only turmoil."
Job 3:24-26
whentroublecomes

Life isn't fair.
Sometimes the wicked prosper and the good are cut down.
Some sick people are healed and others are not.
Suffering bewilders us.
Why did this happen to me? We ask.
If God is just and good, why do we sometimes suffer so much?
Surely it is not always because of our sin. It is easy to become bitter.

Yesterday, my discipleship class focus on topic suffering with reading from Job.

Job is the book of contradiction as Job attitudes towards God and suffering always change and contradict throughout the book.
Reading Job teach me a lot of things:

1.Not to look at things superficially as there are so many things which is out of our control.
2.Be a comforter to your friend. Do not give counsel without knowing the whole situation.
The words that you speak is not reversible.
You can't take back what you have said. Be quick to listen and slow to speak.
3.The book is about a test of faith of Job. It refuses the doctrine that suffering is a punishment of sin. We are put to test for a reason, we must have patient and self control. Never question God WHY, just let him take Him take control of our lives.

Mystery often accompanies our suffering.
Natural disaster, diseases, the action of others can cause us great pain.
In the face of suffering, disciple trust God. God does not always gives us answer; but God promises to be with us(Psalm 23).
We can either choose bitterness or trust.

The class end with a good marks of discipleship: Disciples trust God in the face of unexplained suffering.

Happy working all :).
Remember that life is not fair but God is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home